As the we enjoy the final weeks of summer, I find myself yearning to squeeze in one more dinner party. There's just something about dining al fresco, by candlelight, on a warm summer evening surrounded by good friends and yummy food.
If you are also dreaming about a summer dinner party, this Lavender and Honey Ice Cream is delicious way to add just the right finishing touch to your menu.
Lavender and Honey Ice Cream Recipe
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup half and half
2/3 cups honey
2 tbsp dried edible lavender flowers
2 large eggs
1/8 tsp salt
1. In a sauce pan mix together cream, half and half, hone and lavender and bring to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally. Then remove from heat.
2. Cover the mixture and let sit for 30 minutes.
3. Use a fine sieve to strain the mixture and discard the lavender.
4. Reheat the mixture.
5. In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs. Once combine, slowly add one cup of the hot cream mixture. Pouring in a steady stream and continually whisking.
6. Add to the remaining hot cream mixture in your sauce pan and simmer (do not allow to boil). Continue to stir until thick. (At the correct thickness it should easily coat a wooden spoon.) Once thick, stir and simmer mix for 5 more minutes.
7. Pour the custard mixture through a sieve to remove any lumps and into a bowl. Set the bowl in an ice bath and continue to stir occasionally until the mixture completely cools.
8. Cover the bowl and chili for at least 3 hours.
9. You can freeze the custard in an ice cream maker and then store in an airtight plastic container up to 2 weeks.